Saturday, September 3, 2011

spoiler alert

It's been a reasonably calm relaxing weekend so far.

Tropical Storm Lee is pouring forth much rain upon us. 

I have discovered that there is a low spot in my driveway.  Right at the entrance to the garage.  And the water comes into the garage.  And you need boots to get to the vehicles parked in the driveway. 

I turned off the auto-fill on the pool.  Just in case we got the 20 inches of rain that were forecast.  I don't think we're any where close to 20 inches (at least not yet), but the pool is filled up almost to the tippy-top.

I had 4 teenage boys in my house last night.  Better than 4 teenage girls, I think.  They swam in the rain.  They beat each other like maniacs with foam "noodles".  They left 4 wet swimsuits.  They ate, and played XBox and debated the merits of various musical groups and bands.  I think I need to start a Lost and Found.  Because each week, I seem to have another pair of unfamiliar underwear and a swimsuit in my laundry.

I met my stepson's mother at my old house today.  She is going to rent it from us.  It's kind of an unusual situation.  This could never have happend 20 years ago.  There was much "drama" and ill will in the relationship with lawyers and custody issues.  But time and God's grace have a way of healing things.  Grandchildren don't hurt the situation, either.  The house is not in pristine condition, (and not likely to get that way), but she is genuinely excited to be moving in, and I am glad for that.  You won't find it in Better Homes, but there were a lot of good memories there.

We went to 4:00 Mass this afternoon.  My boys had to serve.  Before Mass, I flipped through the missalette to read the readings.  It is good if you've read them ahead of time, I think.  You can listen better.  But before I got to this weeks, I stopped at next week's.

That's where the Spoiler Alert comes in.  I was amazed at the appropriateness of the readings for September 11, 2011.  Even moreso because they weren't chosen special for this anniversary.  My pastor likes to say that there are no coincidences in God.  Would you like a taste? 

The first sentence that God speaks to us next week: 

Wrath and anger are hateful things, yet the sinner hugs them tight.

More?  

Forgive your neighbor's injustice...

The Lord is kind and merciful, slow to anger, and rich in compassion.

He....redeems your life from destruction...

how often must I forgive?

So will my heavenly Father do to you, unless each of you forgives your brother from your heart.

Appropriate?  Impossible?  Another chance for God to show his healing power?  This week, we prayed together, as part of the homily, the prayer of St. Francis (because where 2 or 3 are gathered in my name...)

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace...

1 comment:

  1. Do you get the Magnificat? They reprinted the devotion that ran on 9/11/01 and it is crazy appropriate for what was about to happen....I can scan it and send it to you if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete