Things continued on Wednesday shooting down the alphabetical order theory, and we waited for "the call". Finally on Thursday, I called them.
They ticked off the few jobs that were available. Nothing at the school 4 minutes from my house. Positions at other poorly rated and alternative schools. "Thank you, but I would have stayed where I was at...." Positions at schools 20 and 25 minutes away. Finally, I hastily selected a position at school A teaching special ed English, even though I prefer Math . I called the principal and scheduled a meeting for that afternoon. The meeting with the principal revealed that I would be teaching both regular and special ed English AND a regular section of Science. I toured the school and he gave me keys to my room.
Sometimes the placing of displaced teachers is little more than a blind date. Unfortunately it is often difficult to call of the relationship once you've agreed to the date. But the more I thought of the requirements for this job, the more my un-ease increased. I had prayed to know the "right job" when it appeared, but had no particular insight when I was offered choices. I had done the best I could with the information given me. I am used to teaching small groups of children...the thought of having classes of 25 was overwhelming. And Science....I would have been learning it along with the students.
Perhaps God thought it was "Opposite Day". As Friday dawned bright and sunny, I realized that remaining in the job I had selected would be an injustice for everyone involved. I had picked the wrong job - not the right one! One of the jobs I had passed over because it was a little further from my house was a "Mild/Moderate" class. This was really what I wanted. Your stereotypical "special ed" class. I dropped my son off for his 7 a.m. driver's ed class and then plotted my next move.
I texted my former principal who had spent the last semester at "School B". No answer. I texted my supervisor to see if she knew anything of the job 4 minutes from my house. The job that was not yet open. No answer. I pulled up School B on my ipad and emailed the principal. I tried calling. No answer. Finally, I put the address into my GPS and hit the road. It was a 25 minute or so drive. I arrived at a school in the middle of nowhere.
The architecture reminded me a little of the high school I had attended. There were 2 cars in the parking lot, so I parked and made my way to the office. Birds were chirping and I noted neglected box gardens in the front of the school. Eventually, I met up with the principal and another staff member. "Are you looking for a report card?" they asked. "No, actually a job." "Are you Karen?" He had gotten my email and had already called HR to find out if the job that I was seeking was still open. (No answer for him, either.) We chatted for a few minutes, and I left feeling like it would be a good match.
It took me until early afternoon to find someone at HR to reverse my decision, so that I could return the keys to school A. In the meantime I talked to a few more people who affirmed my choice, so that was good. Now I have that peace that this is the "right job". All the pieces line up. Good principal. Good supervisor (so says a much-loved supervisor that I had years ago.) The type of class that I wanted in a "quiet school". I will trust that God has His reasons for wanting me to travel the 20 or 30 minutes each way, instead of 4.
After all was said and done, just for fun, I googled and mapquested to find the nearest Catholic Church. Spending time in the empty church near my old school is something I have enjoyed in the mornings before school starts. I put in the addresses and the result came back....12 seconds. The church is 12 seconds from the school. Not 11. Not 13. I had to laugh at the exactness of the answer. Thank you Lord, for answered prayers.