Monday, April 4, 2011

half way

I was reflecting in church this morning. (I think the candle we lit last week was still burning.)

I've gotten behind in my "Little Black Book" meditations.   Actually the half-way point of Lent was last week.  How's it going?  Have I made progress?  Probably.  Have their been distractions?   Yes?  Could I have done things better?  Almost certainly.  Will I be anywhere closer to Jesus at the Triduum than I was at  Ash Wednesday?  Hopefully. 

I guess the good news is that there is still time to......  To what?  To try harder?  Wait patiently?  Pray better?  Listen more attentively?  Do more?  Or less?

Last week was a "church week".  On Tuesday, I met with my sister-in-law, mother-in-law, and another lady to pray the Seven Sorrows Rosary.  We aim for every-other-Tuesday.  It is always peaceful, pleasant.  Wednesday night was our parish Bible Study.  Wonderful.  I still might need to blog about some of that wisdom.  Thursday night was a PTC meeting at my younger child's school.  The eighth graders (of which he is one) acted out the Stations of the Cross along with their Kindergarten little buddies.  It was really sweet.  And Friday evening was the Stations of the Cross at my parish. 


And all of that leads back to the fact that it is Lent. My pastor told us last week that the purpose of Lent is to prepare to renew our Baptismal Promises at Easter.  I had never heard that before.  He noted that the church builds in a 40-day retreat every year. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

In other unrelated news...we tortured ourselves last weekend with another visit to the property we would like to buy.  Dear husband invited one of his long-ago friends - a good guy - who has worked in business that would come along with the house.  He put his stamp of approval on it, and agreed that he would like to be a part of the business.  And yet we say, "Thy will be done."  We asked him for prayers, and he said he says a Rosary every night, and certainly would pray for it.

And in other, other unrelated news....I am working with a small group of boys (4; 2 of them mine) on a religious emblem for Boy Scouts.  It goes through the sacraments one at a time, in depth.  We meet at a Catholic school, and there is a chapel within the school that we were given permission to use for prayer services and what not.   We hold our meetings before the regular scout meetings, and a couple of weeks ago, we finished a bit early.  Not wanting them to run loose through the school, I took them down to the chapel to spend a few minutes there in adoration.  The results were varied.  One whined about being tired and then appeared to be deep in thought.  I realized later that he was probably texting, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't Jesus.  Another went and sat on the floor as close to the tabernacle as he could get.  And the other two sat and looked like they were totally bored.  And yet, yesterday, I had one ask if he could go back to the chapel...just to be.  I think that from now on, we will start and finish each session in the chapel.  Planting seeds.

Life as it is in this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment