Saturday, July 2, 2011

come to me

This past week, I was able to spend more time than usual in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament.  Awesome, awesome.  While I was there, I realized that the time I had been able to spend with Him during the school year wasn't just some nice little lagniappe from God, but a necessity, and that I wasn't going to be able to skate through this summer solely on those good graces. 

But at the same time, I wondered...why?  I know the answer to that, intellectually.  Because it's about relationship.  Can't have a relationship with someone you don't spend time with.  But I look around at the rest of the world.  No one else seems to need to spend that much time with the Lord .  Or maybe better stated, it is rare to find someone who is not a priest or sister who visits regularly often with the Blessed Sacrament.  And they seem to get along just fine.  Sort of.

This afternoon I popped in to the confessional.  One motivating factor is that I will be boarding a plane next Friday.  Call me superstitious if you want, but I like to have things "right" before I go flying off into the wild blue yonder.  Anyway, one of the "things" was the lack of personal prayer this summer.  I had hoped for some encouragement/feedback on that, so I elaborated slightly.  But, no.  No feedback today.  My penance, though, was to sit with this weekend's Gospel and "take it apart...let God speak". I left the confessional without a clue about what this weekend's Gospel was.  (Sometimes when he gives a similar penance, he will elaborate a little.)

What would this weekend's Gospel be?  It was from Matthew 11...Jesus saying, "Come to me...learn from me....and I will give you rest."

Could that have been any more perfect?  I think it is so cool how the Spirit works through my good priest.  Sometimes he answers my questions so simply and easily, that I am left wondering why I didn't think of that.  Sometimes he says just the right thing to answer a question that I haven't even asked.  And today, he didn't answer at all, but left it for God to answer Himself.  

Come to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment