Wednesday, May 12, 2010

impulse buy

My BFF lives 1200 or so miles from me and resides in a monastery.  So we don't visit very often.  Until this year, it had been about 4 times in 10 years or so. 

I have been afraid of flying for a long time, but about a year and a half ago, I decided that flying was better than (a) not going at all or (b) spending half of your vacation driving.  And then I found some reasonably priced tickets.  Last summer - for the first time in almost 30 years- I got on a plane by myself (without kids!) and flew half-way across the country.  I took a shuttle to the monastery and spent 4 wonderful days alternately visiting and silent.  There was a suite that I was able to stay in.  I walked to Mass and participated in as much of the daily Liturgy of the Hours as I wanted to.  I didn't know what to expect going in, but I really enjoyed the quiet.

My friend has been home twice in the past year because of her mother's medical condition and passing.  Both of those times, we were able to have wonderful, lengthy, wonderful visits - in spite of the circumstances.  So, I really hadn't planned to return to the monastery this summer.  My kids have a busy schedule this summer, and three (or four) visits in one year just seemed a bit extravagant.  Until yesterday. 

I was in the kitchen cutting up fruit for my breakfast when my dear husband (who was watching the news) shouted in that it might be the last summer I could go to see my friend.  He was distressed with what he saw about our president and unions and airlines, and said that tickets next summer are likely to be several times the price of tickets this summer.  I take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt, and let it go at that.

When I got home from school, I saw an email from Southwest Airlines in my inbox.  They really know what they are doing with these emails, because that's how my trip last summer was conceived.  Just on a whim, I decided to see what tickets from here to there would cost.   $78 each way!!  That is less than what I paid last summer!  So I emailed my friend to see if the "on-site accommodations" were available for specific dates.  She replied that the dates were "wide open".  I called dear hubby and got the OK from him.  Then, I went back to the reservation website, found dates and flights that would work and booked it!  Just like that!

When everything falls into place that easily, you can't help but think that God has a finger on it.

Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment