Tuesday, August 17, 2010


School started last week.  My 8th grader started on Wednesday.  My 9th grader had his first day on Thursday.  All is well, I think.  For 8th grader, it is his 10th year at this school.  I was so tempted to skip last night's open house.  It's his 3rd year with these teachers.  Not much has changed at all.  But, I went.  I almost felt sorry for the kids by the time we were done.  We only spent 7 minutes in each class, but that was enough for me!  It was long for the end of a day.

 We took this picture the second day of school.  (It didn't even cross my mind on the first day... bad mom.)  Can't you just see the excitement in his eyes about returning to school??

9th grader is in a new school this year.  His first year in public school, and the reports from the first 2 days were "awesome". Let's hope that continues.  He is in a technology program that functions somewhat like a school within a school.  It seemed to be a "safe" environment for him.  He is taking World Geography, Algebra I, English I, Physical Science, PE, Introduction to Business Communications (Typing), Computer Tech Literacy, and "Journeys to Careers".  He catches the bus at the end of the driveway in the mornings.  That is a first for us, but nice.

 Here is his first day of school picture.  Yes, it is still dark outside when he goes to meet the bus.  What maturity!  (Sometimes I think boys go backwards on the Journey to Maturity.) 

I have the feeling of making progress at my school.  My students were not scheduled into my classes this year.  I don't even have a schedule.  Thursday and Friday were crazy days at my school, and I worked with trying to get new kids into classrooms and looked to see which students we were supposed to have, who actually showed up, etc.  We looked at records of new students and attempted to determine their needs.  Today we went to a nearby school which has sent us many transfers, and picked up records for 4 or 5 new students.  Met with our principal to see what his specifications for our schedule were and then sat down to see what we would come up with.  The new "inclusion" teacher and I (who I really like) were able to sketch out a rough schedule. Maybe it was the bag of Pretzel M&Ms that we picked up on the way back from the other school.  It feels good to have a basic schedule done..  I will have a 6th grade first hour.  Cool!  They are a sweet group of kids.  Last year I had "The Breakfast Club" first thing in the morning.  (SweatHogs would have been another name for them.)

So that is my boring life for right now.  I feel so scattered.  Mentally exhausted and overloaded a good part of the time.  But today was good.  I watched 1 kid get on the bus.  I got another kid out of the house in a timely manner and dropped him off much earlier than usual.  I proceeded on to 7:30 Mass across town ( and unexpectedly met up with a friend), and made it back across town in time to sign in (before 8:20).  Life is good. The heat was not so bad today.  Maybe that is why I don't feel totally wiped out.  Rolling over to sister-in-law's in a little bit to pray the Seven Sorrows Rosary.  Maybe one or both of my boys will come with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment