Wednesday, December 8, 2010

a little silence

Sister-in-law and I had signed up for a women's "day of recollection" in early November.  I had seen it in a church bulletin (it's a sickness - picking up a bulletin of whatever parish you visit), and we had sent in our $$ in plenty of time.   But we got back letters saying that we were being placed on the waiting list. 

Tuesday was the long-anticipated day, and since we had both gotten subs for the day, we decided to go anyway.  If they let us stay, fine.  If not, then we would have our own day of recollection somewhere.  They warned us that we might have to sit on the floor, but they let us stay.



There were two presenters, and there were a lot of messages woven into the day.  Femininity, waiting, loving, listening, quiet, utter active receptivity (try that one on for size!), slowing down, surrender, and more.  Wonderful advent messages.

But the best part for me - maybe for all of us - was the silence.  After we listened to the first presentation, we were told to meet back at 11:30 in the cafeteria for lunch.  There would be silence until then.

So SIL and I walked outside.  
It was a little cold, but we found spots in the sun.  
I stretched out on a bench.  
She walked on further and found a chair.


Very peaceful. 


 

I found that it wasn't a time so much to talk to God, as a time to listen.
It was confirmation for me that I'm not the crazy one for craving silence in my daily life.
That, in fact, we NEED it. 


 

I had forgotten my journal, so I had to improvise.  I still found a place to write.
And I reached into my bag and found some things to meditate upon.  
Things that seemed to be just what I needed to hear.



God has a plan for my life.  I knew that already.
And that plan includes paperwork and meetings.  
Why?
Only God knows.


And he wants me to be patient.
He is there.  In the craziness.  In the mind-numbing paperwork.  In the endless meetings.


We were behind an old, historic church.
There seemed to be cemeteries on all sides.
A reminder of  the promise of something better.


And then there was school today.
The stupid IEP program wouldn't work when I had time to use it.
And so it begins.
The chances to practice patience and looking for God in the paperwork.
One of my co-workers so neatly summed it up...
Re-entry's a b!tch, isn't it?
Yeah, but worth it!

While I was there, I signed up for a 3-day silent retreat in September.  Can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! The pictures add a lot. I can see you making the day.

    ReplyDelete