Friday, December 31, 2010

measuring a year

Boys and things that blow up, make noise, light up, shoot.  I'll never understand.  But here we are on New Year's Eve.  In a few hours, 2010 will be "in the books"

This is my 240th blog post this year.  My mental math tells me that is a blog post 2 days out of 3 (assuming 1 per day).  When I started this endeavor, I wasn't sure I would keep up with it.  But it has been good.  For months I posted and posted with only the rare comment.  But now there are about 2 or 3 people that sometimes read it.  Maybe more, who knows?  I've shared it with some of the people close to me.  They say nice things, but I'm not sure if they check back very often.  Probably they have lives.  ;-)  But still I write.  Because I think when I write.  This was a post that the Holy Spirit wrote with me.  And this one - related to the same experience - was one that was written, rewritten, chopped, and cropped.  It never did quite express what I wanted /needed it too. 

How do you measure a year?

In Masses?  I went to lots.

In funerals?  I think I went to only one - my BFF's mom.

In money?  Not enough.

How about in blessings?  There were so, so many.  I listed some of them here at the end of the summer.  God hasn't stopped giving.  

Can you measure a year in trials?  There were some of them, too.  Most of them work-related, which I guess is better than them being home-related.  But even in the midst of darkness, there was light.  

In friendships?  In new ones sparked and fanned into flames.  Or in old ones that give off a warm, steady glow?  I have the bestest friends!

Maybe you can measure it in championships?  There was the Saints Superbowl win.  Something that is still just amazing.  It was so good, so sweet, on so many levels.  And there was my brother-in-law's team - another great story

Lord, however we measure it, however we remember it when we look back, we know that You were with us through it all.  Your Divine Hand is always upon us.  You make all things work for good.  You, alone, bring light out of the darkness.  Lord, draw us close to you.  Pour your graces and your blessings upon us in the coming year.  In your name we pray.  Amen.

May God bless you and yours in the upcoming year!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, boys AND men really do have a thing for stuff that blows up! I don't get it, but it's so true.

    ReplyDelete