Saturday, January 29, 2011

more winter

It's a picture of the sky at sunrise one morning last week. The sky was pink.

It seems like there is little of interest to write about these days.  One day rolls into the next without anything too remarkable to report.  Finding beauty in the ordinary, they say.

The weather was dreary on Monday and Tuesday.

Went to a conference on Tuesday.  My red-headed co-worker was there, and we enjoyed each other's company.  Lunch was really good.  Wish I could say the same about the conference, but there was only one session that was really interesting.  Oh well.  It's hit or miss with those things.  We finished up early.  I had about 45 minutes before my dear son got off the bus at my school.  I surely didn't want to go to school - so I went to the church nearby.  They were having Adoration, so I enjoyed some peaceful prayer time and prayed the Seven Sorrows Rosary.  Then I went and waited for the bus.

Wednesday I woke up with a sore throat.  That made for a long week.  Not sick enough to stay home, but not 100%, either.  A couple of early nights helped, I think.

Got word during the week that our principal would be out for "at least a month."  He is a good, decent guy who has helped to keep the forces of evil somewhat at bay.  It could be a long month.  Thank you to those who have prayed for him.  Last we heard, they had found that one side of his heart was enlarged.  He admitted that he was "scared."

Our Bible Study Wednesday night was about finding joy in trials and embracing the cross.  It looks like I might get some more practice in that.  I suppose it is a good thing, since that is how our faith is perfected.  I still don't get real excited when trials come my way...when"real life" happens.

I am working with a small group of boys on their Ad Altare Dei religious award for Boy Scouts.  We are just beginning our journey through the sacraments.  One of the things that was suggested for baptism was for them to attend a baptism, so we did that today. (I thought it wasn't going to happen.  After being planned nearly 2 months, I got an email from the secretary Thursday night asking that we not come, if it wasn't needed for awards being given out in a couple of weeks.  It just didn't really make any sense to me, so I approached my dear pastor after Mass Friday morning.  He looked at me as if I'd lost my mind.  Something was clearly lost in translation somewhere along the line.  Not sure where, but happily it all worked out.)  It was kind of neat to watch it from the "outside".  Neither of the children being baptized were too excited about having water poured over their head.  Simple rituals, really, but with deep meaning.  The water, the Sign of the Cross, the chrism, the candle.

After we got home from this outing, one of my offspring told me that his "hair hurt".  To me that sounds flu-like, but maybe I am jumping to conclusions.  He spent most of the rest of the day in bed, and appears to have some fever.  He says his back and head hurt, and he has a runny  nose, but no chills.  Nonetheless, I called and got a script for Tami-flu.  We shall see...

Meanwhile, my other child had to altar serve solo this evening.  He has never served alone, so this was a new adventure for him, and he did fine!

And so concludes another winter week.

No comments:

Post a Comment