Tuesday, January 25, 2011

there's an app for that

I got an iPad for Christmas - finally joining the world of app users. 

My "top three" Catholic apps....

iConfess is one that I had seen reviewed elsewhere.  It has a good examination of conscience, and you are able to "flag" things that you want to confess.  There is also a page to make notes.  Prayers are included, as well as an "about confession" section, which seeks to answer some common questions about confession.  While I was curious, I mostly bought this with the hopes my teens will use it.  I have one teen who turns to me in panic and says "what do I say?" and another who (from what he has revealed to me) seems to confess any random item that pops into his head. (Once I followed him in confession, and as I entered my pastor just looked at me, and said, "I can just give you absolution right now!" - kidding of course.)   I don't imagine I'll go strolling into confession any time soon with my iPad in the hot pink Otter Box, but I could see my teens taking in their iPad Touch- especially if they go on the screen side. iConfess also comes with a "master password" so that in theory someone with access to your iPad/iPod will not have access to whatever list of sins you've got going.  However, I have not found the password to work consistently.

iBreviary is an app that I have used to pray the Liturgy of the Hours.  I sometimes go sit in a church before school.  Sometimes in the early morning, there is very little ambient lighting, and I cannot read from my prayer book.  I can, however read from my iPad.  This app was free.  I've had to delete it and download it a couple of times, but it seems to be working at this point.  It also has the Mass readings for the day, and a blurb on the Saint of the Day. 

My number one Catholic App is iPieta.  It cost $2.99, and is - without a doubt - the best  $3 I've ever spent.  It has Latin and English versions of the Bible.  It has just about every prayer ever written.  It has the works of many of the Doctors of the Church and the Church Fathers.  St. Catherine, St. Augustine, St. Jean Vianney, St. John of the Cross, the Rule of St. Benedict, In Imitation of Christ Papal Encyclicals - complete works - not just excerpts. Consecrations, blessings, novenas.  A simply overwhelming amount of material.  A whole shelf or two worth of books.

My current non-Catholic fave is another freebie called Color Effects.  It makes a black and white from your photographs, and then lets you colorize the parts that you want to color.  Very cool.



Have you joined the iPhone/iPad family?  Got a favorite app?  Word with friends, anyone?

4 comments:

  1. This is great! I don't have an ipad, but I am getting an iphone so I will take your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have these fancy new-fangled ianythings, but I can see they could be really helpful. That iPieta sounds really neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the iPieta app; I've taken it to Bible class and it made following the Scripture references a breeze.

    Have you checked out Divine Office.org apps? They allow you to listen daily to beautifully produced Liturgy of the Hours, as well as read and pray along.

    Will have to check into iConfess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you should check out our new confession app. It just came out last week. It is called Confession: A Roman Catholic App. I would love to hear what you think about it. We worked really hard to make it useful and easy to use.

    http://www.littleiapps.com

    ReplyDelete