Saturday, February 26, 2011

more important

The week ahead is sure to be a difficult one.  I have not one, not two, but three IEP meetings.  IEPs are yearly educational plans developed for special education students.  Considering that I only have about 10 students on my caseload, what are the odds that I would have three meetings in one week?  But here we have it.

One of the students is transferring from another city and has some diagnosed emotional problems.  That he will probably remain on our campus among the general population is causing me great stress.  Because our school system only RE-acts,  they can not do anything proactive, because that might violate his rights.  Someone must get hurt first.  Who will it be?  Student or staff?

Another threatened harm to the school.  He was also relatively new.  No behavior plan was in place.  I will be blamed for that, and he will probably return to school.

And then there are two other fairly routine meetings.

No doubt it will be a difficult week, with very little teaching.  I still feel guilty when I don't teach my students.  But paperwork must not be denied!

Tonight I went to Mass, praying for some inspiration.   I found it in spades.

Can a mother forget her infant, 
be without tenderness for the child of her womb?
Even should she forget, I will never forget you.
(Isaiah 49: 14-15)

Only in God be at rest, my soul, for from him comes my hope.
He only is my rock and my salvation, my stronghold;
I shall not be disturbed.
With God is my safety and my glory, 
he is the rock of my strength; my refuge is in God.
Trust in him at all times, O my people!  
Pour out your hearts before him.
(Psalm 62: 6-9)

It does not concern me in the least that I be judged by you or any human tribunal...
(1Corinthians 4:1-5)

The word of God is living and effective; discerning reflections and thoughts of the heart.
(Hebrews 4:12)

...Look at the birds in the sky....Are you not more important than they?
Can any of you by worrying add a single moment to your life-span?
....Learn from the way the wild flowers grow....
will he not much more provide for you...
Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself.
(Matthew 6:24-34)




The homily was about trust.  Good, but no earth-shattering revelations.  The scripture was rich, however.

The temptation to alter my morning routine and skip my few minutes before the Blessed Sacrament in order to get to school earlier and get a jump on the paperwork - rejected.  No, that time is when my soul is at rest, when I can pour out my heart before him.

That I will be blamed and berated for the lack of a behavior plan...I will try not to let it concern me.  Suffering happens.  Suck it up...offer it up.

God will not forsake me.  He is always with me, and he will be with me in the paperwork and the meetings and the unfairness of the coming week.  He will be my rock.  And I will trust.

But, if you get a chance, please offer a prayer for me.  That all the work gets done.  That decisions are made in the best interest of all parties.  That sanity and reason prevail.

No comments:

Post a Comment