Thursday, May 19, 2011

winding down

It has been a busy, busy week following our very busy weekend.

Monday was my day to check out special education paperwork with my supervisor.  All the nit picky things are still not done, but we were done with enough on Monday to get through check-out.  I think if they would have given us another hour, I would be through with it all.  Sometimes when you interrupt "the flow", you just never quite get it back.

Our Honors Night (which I am in charge of) was Wednesday night.  It went fairly well.  Both Tuesday and Wednesday were a little crazy as I turned my attention to that.  Programs, paper goods, set up, trophy pick-up, etc.  I tried to pace myself and get some things done ahead, so that I wasn't like a crazy woman on Wednesday, and that helped.  It also helped to have the special ed check-out not hanging over me.

In the background of everything is the idea of moving, packing, negotiating for repairs, borrowing money, following up on this and that.

Today I was on the road for 5:30 A.M.  My younger child had his 8th grade field trip to New Orleans.  They went on a charter bus, and I was happy to ride along with them. 


Of prime interest, was "the water".  Yes, it was high.  The picture above is near Lake Pontchartrain near New Orleans.  There is always water here, but you can see how close it is to a previous high water mark.  There was a spot that we passed, where the water was just rushing in...where the Bonet Carre Spillway empties into Lake Pontchartrain.  I failed to get a good picture of that.  :-(


The Mississippi River at Baton Rouge resembled a very full bowl, just about ready to spill over the top.  This is a picture of the levee on the Port Allen side of the river.  Kind of reminds me of one of my favorite songs...let the water rise if You want it to...I will follow You...I will follow You....  Something like that, anyway.

 And, just in case you were wondering...This is the Mississippi River at New Orleans.  It was very high there, as well.  No surprise!






Pretty much sums it up!  The WWII Museum, specifically the 4-D movie (Beyond All  Boundaries) was awesome.  



And here is where we finished out day.  It's one of those things that most of us have been there, done that.  There was too much time devoted to this activity, which led to too much time in the gift shop for our group of kids.


The traffic was lovely as we left New Orleans!


This class of kids...it's one of those that the teachers are really not going to miss all that much.  The shirt is somewhat appropriate, in an infamous kind of way....Leaving a Legend in 20-11.

I missed my 6:30 Mass this morning, but that was part of the deal.  I saw the sun rise over the Atchafalaya Basin (and for all those news reporters down here reporting news about the Basin flooding, here's a pronunciation tip...it is NOT Atcha-fa-laya  like it's spelled...it's uh-CHAF-uh-lie-uh).  My seatmate slept most of both ways, and there was really no one I wanted to talk to, so I was able to find some time with God in the coming and going.

A long day, but fairly enjoyable!

1 comment:

  1. I wondered if you were anywhere near the river, and if there was any flooding down your way.
    This afternoon at our faculty lunch, the principal mentioned that the kindergarten teachers had a rough year, and then told the 1st grade teachers to get ready 'cause they were coming. Isn't it weird how some classes are like that?

    ReplyDelete