Friday, December 25, 2009

christmas blues

Don't get me wrong, I like Christmas, though I probably like Advent more - the preparing and anticipating and waiting, the quiet expectation.  Christmas brings family togetherness, food.  The smiles on my kids' faces when they get something they really wanted.  All good things.   I just wish there was less emphasis on the gifts and more emphasis on THE gift.  

Last year, money was tight in the extended family, and the gifts were scaled back some.  There was less expectation.  This year, I feel like I let down some of the recipients.  Our gifts did not match up dollar for dollar.  And when the gift-giving is basically exchanging gift cards, it's easy to see who spent what.  On the other hand, I did not go in debt up to my eyeballs.

God is good!  Maybe someday there will be more focus on THE GIFT and less on the gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment