Thursday, September 16, 2010

hmmmm...the school edition

I swear, sometimes it feels like I work in the twilight zone.

I have a child who had/has a serious medical problem.  Could be life-threatening.  I'm not about to take any chances with that.  Therefore, when she had a difficult time standing this morning and said she couldn't walk to the classroom, I became concerned.  I called the front office (having programmed the new number into my phone since this incident) and explained my situation to the secretary.  I specifically asked her to send an administrator, because I wasn't sure whether or not to call 9-1-1.  In the meantime, I managed to get the mother's phone number from the child and called the mother, who said she would be there in a minute.

About five minutes later, the secretary - of all people - rolls a wheelchair into the gym for me to use for the child.  I was relieved to see an administrator behind her.  My other first hour students and I managed to get the child into the wheelchair.  I looked around for the administrator.  Gone!  Didn't even come over to us and ask if everything was OK or see if we needed help.  Some things I just don't understand!

As the day unfolded, crazy things continued to happen.  I can't spill all here.

A prejudice and dislike for special education children and personnel seems to more and more obvious.

And life goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment