Sunday, November 29, 2009

drowsy hearts, lifted souls

Thoughts from the weekend homily: To you, O Lord, I lift my soul. (1)Jesus has come and is with us. He came to change us and to bring us hope and to make us more like Himself. He is WITH us, and He is here FOR us. We can let Him be our strength against all the storms of life and all the issues that we have. (2) How we live our lives determines our eternity. In that way we are the master of our own destiny. The choices we make here in freedom have eternal consequences. And at some point, we WILL stand before the Father in judgment. But He tells us in Thessalonians how we should live our lives: May the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all... so to strengthen your hearts, to be blameless in holiness before our God and Father...

Another phrase that caught *my* attention, but did not "make" the homily was from the Gospel (Luke 21): Beware that your hearts do not become drowsy from carousing and drunkenness and the anxieties of daily life, and that day catch you by surprise like a trap. I don't do much of the carousing and drunkenness thing these days - never did, really - but I can surely relate to the anxieties of daily life getting in the way. And a "drowsy heart"...is that a heart that just mopes through life?

Lord, remind me to draw upon your strength when the anxieties of daily life get in the way. To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment