Thursday, January 7, 2010

life is changed....not ended

I went today to the funeral of my best friend's mom.  It is a comfort to know that death is not the end of our lives, just a change.  The liturgy was beautiful.  There is the reminder at the beginning of our baptism.  The Easter candle is lit, the coffin is sprinkled with Holy Water, and the funeral pall, symbolic of the white garment at baptism is placed over the casket. Things come full circle.  The readings were perfect, and the music was beautiful.  There was one song that was sung during the blessing with incense, that I would love to have at my own funeral.  Something about "May the Angels Lead You into Paradise".  I don't recall hearing it before...

As I sat in the church, I wondered if now friend's mom is present with us at Mass - in the company of the angels and saints who are at every Mass.  There is every reason to hope, and she is almost certainly in a better place, freed from the limitations that were part of life here.

Plans to visit with my friend after the funeral were changed when she called to tell me that she had an awful virus and to stay away!  I'm glad that I have planned to take off on Monday for a real chance to visit.  I am always reluctant to "use my days", but this is one of those things that fits the "10 year rule".  Will it matter in 10 years if we visited?  Possibly, because sometimes there are years between our visits and they are grace-filled times.  While I would like to make a trip to the monastery yearly, one never knows what the future holds.  Will it matter in 10 years if I was at work on 1.11.10?  Probably NOT!

Tomorrow is the second anniversary of Cody's death.  If ever anyone got a headstart on their "purgatory time" while they were still on earth, it was this child.  I still think of him often.  I can still see that twinkle in his eye. 

And tomorrow is the first anniversary of my neighbor's death.  For over 40 years, our families lived next door to each other.  I don't think they make neighbors like that anymore.  A wonderful, kind, gentle person who never had anything bad to say about anyone.

When I got back to town, I stopped at the pharmacy to pick up a prescription.  While I was there, I ran into Ms. Clara and her granddaughter.

May they all rest in peace, and may perpetual light shine upon them!

No comments:

Post a Comment